The City of Big Lake was originally called Humboldt until 1867 when it got its current name. It is a rapidly growing community in Sherbourne County, Minnesota along the banks of the Big and Mitchell Lakes. The city was incorporated on Dec. 27, 1898.
Located about 40 miles northwest of the Twin Cities, Big Lake was once a popular location for escapes from the city, its lakes filled with summer cabins. Now it is considered an exurb of the metro area, with a significant portion of residents commuting into the Cities daily.
The lake for which the town is named was once an important part of the Twin Cities economy, as in the days before modern refrigerators, much of the ice for metropolitan iceboxes was harvested from Big Lake.