The area where Maple Lake stands was once home to the Chippewa Indians. When the 1855 treaty was revoked by the US government, settlers began flowing in. As early as the 1850s, people were already beginning to settle in the area. Most early settlers came to farm but in 1857 a guy by the name of CH Hackett surveyed a 200 plat and named it as “Geneva”. The severe depression of the same year resulted in a panic that led to the dissolution of the “city of Geneva” but the town site of Maple Lake instead was established in 1858. Many of the settlers to Maple Lake were Irish in origin. Incorporation was finally achieved in 1890.