Located in Wright County, Otsego got its name from Otsego County in New York. The area got organized into a township in 1858. The name Otsego is actually Native American which means “welcome to water” or an area or “place where meetings are done”. Over 400 acres was platted in May of 1857 and incorporation into village status in 1875. Incorporation into cityhood was achieved more than a hundred years later in 1990.