It was in the year 1855 that Plymouth’s development as a town occurred on the northwest shores of what is now currently known as Parkers Lake. By the end of the civil war the fledgling settlement now boasted a population of 1,074 with farming as the main mode of income.
Plymouth incorporated as a village on May 18, 1955. The city adopted the Council–Manager form of government on August 1, 1968. Plymouth became a statutory city on February 7, 1974. It remained a statutory city until voters opted to make it a home rule charter city by adopting a City Charter on November 3, 1992. The City Charter went into effect on January 1, 1993. The Charter continued the Council–Manager form of government, and increased the size of the City Council. Prior to the adoption of the Charter, the City Council was made up of five members elected at-large. The Charter increased the Council to seven members elected from four wards.