When Minnesota was established as a territory, the area where St. Cloud stands was opened to settlers in 1851.  A Maine native by the name of John Wilson named the settlement as St. Cloud in reference to the Paris suburb where Napoleon had a favorite residence.  M. Incorporated in 1856, the city is divided into 3 known settlements namely: Upper Town, Middle and Lower Town. Middle Town was composed mostly of German catholic immigrants. New England settlers and people from the Mid-Atlantic States founded lower Town. Arcadia or the Upper Town was platted by a slave-owner by the name of General Sylvanus Lowry.  Many steamboats docked at the city for the fur trade and other business interests. In the 1880s, the establishment of granite quarries gave the city the nickname, “The Granite City.”

GrandPaws Place
2069 County Road 37 NE
Buffalo, Minnesota 55313
(763) 295-4018
4.94 47 reviews
Write a review